First Steps

Students walking on steps at Wells Library

Completing Your Transfer Academic Planning Worksheet

Transfer students should use the Transfer Academic Planning Worksheet (TAPW) to prepare for their New Student Oorientation (NSO) advising appointment. Note: A printable PDF is available on the right side of this page.

Bring a final transcript (even if unofficial) to your advising appointment, including courses you are currently taking. If you do not have a transcript to take to your appointment, we ask that you bring a complete list of courses you have taken at other higher education institutions. 

Before, you begin you’ll want to account carefully for the college level academic work you’ve already completed and understand how it fulfills requirements at IUB.  The following steps will help:

1) Find out if the courses you are transferring to IUB have been evaluated by the Office of Admissions by visiting your Student Center in OneStart (link located in the SIS box). Click on the “My Academics and Grades” link on the front page, and choose : “View Academic Credit Report.” in the Transfer Credit section. The resultant list will provide you with detailed information about how the courses you’ve taken transfer to IUB.  You will then be able to determine whether or not they count for requirements at IUB.

2) If some, or all, of your courses have not been evaluated, check the Credit Transfer Service on the Office of Admissions site to find out whether or not they will transfer, and how.

3) Use the information above to determine whether or not you have completed any requirements for IUB General Education and the requirements you have yet to fulfill.

4) Assess the specific requirements you have completed towards your major(s) of interest and courses that shouldl come next by accessing degree requirements for your major(s) and school(s) from the Academic Bulletins page.

5) Complete your TAPW using the information you have collected above. Also, remember to write down any questions you have and discuss them with your NSO advisor. 

The TAPW is a good place to note whether you require accommodations. Your advisor will use this information when making course recommendations. You should also contact the IU Office of Disability Services for Students (DSS) and request your accommodations as soon as possible. To request accommodations, visit , e-mail or call (812) 855-7578 during office hours.

Other planning tools that may be useful for transfer students new to IUB:

  • The Schedule of Classes provides a full list of all classes offered at IUB each term. It includes class numbers, meeting times and locations, the instructor’s name, and other important class notes. You will find various course lists related to each term in the “Special Course Listings” section.
  • In addition to providing school-specific major and degree requirements, Academic Bulletins include general descriptions for all courses taught by each school, department or academic unit. Note: Not all courses appearing in the bulletins are taught each term.
  • The Class Search via the SIS Student Center in OneStart allows you to search using a keyword for “Course Keyword” and "Class Descriptions Keyword" (for example “film”). Class descriptions are viewed by clicking on “details” when you pull up a specific class.
  • Once you’ve registered, your Academic Advisement Report will help you understand how all transferred and currently enrolled courses will count toward requirements for the specific major: listed in your student records. Run a “What-if” Academic Advisement Report if you’d like to find out how those courses would work for a different IUB major.
  • Degree planning guides offer comprehensive guides to degree requirements and suggest plans for completing those requirements.